Is Email Archiving Better In The Cloud?
Filed in Cloud Industry Insights by Lizetta Staplefoote | July 24, 2013 10:00 am
One question we frequently hear from you is: Is email archiving better in the cloud? For most, the answer is yes. From answering subpoenas for email records to providing proof of business transactions, storing and retrieving email is a necessary part of modern business. As reliance on email as a long-term record keeping and daily communication tool grows, IT teams are scrambling to keep up with the hardware and management tools needed to deal with the influx of data. Hosted email  and hosted email archiving solutions help reduce the load on strapped teams by offloading capacity and basic maintenance requirements to a trusted service provider. Though businesses reap many benefits from this combination, many are still reluctant to switch over. Top reasons cited for apprehension include:
- Security and compliance: Because of the critical nature of email, businesses worry that a service provider can’t protect their data as well as their IT staff. There are also concerns around data ownership. In reality, a service provider specializing in email storage and management can often provide better protection and accountability without losing control of data.
- Cloud wariness: Cloud as a buzzword has been overused causing many to question its business value. Though cloud isn’t right for every business use, millions of Rackspace email hosting customers have successfully implemented email and archiving solutions on the cloud.
- Migration fears: The horror of a migration nightmare or not having the time and resources to make a smooth transition leaves some businesses stuck with cumbersome email systems. Often, the fears around email data migration are unfounded and abated with the help of a trusted advisor to guide you through the process.
- Budget concerns: Looking at all of the benefits that come with hosted email and archiving solutions; a business may assume that it can’t afford it. However, when compared with the cost of maintaining in-house email systems, businesses find both hardware and labor savings with hosted email archiving solutions.
Read Should You Put Email Archiving in the Cloud? to learn more about the benefits and opportunities of cloud-based email archiving.
- Hosted email : http://www.rackspace.com/email-hosting/
- hosted email archiving: http://www.rackspace.com/email-hosting/archiving-backup/
- Rackspace email hosting customers: http://www.rackspace.com/apps/customers/
- email data migration: http://www.rackspace.com/email-hosting/migrations/
- Should You Put Email Archiving in the Cloud?: http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/whitepaper/should-you-put-email-archiving-in-the-cloud
Source URL: http://blog.rackspace.com/is-email-archiving-better-in-the-cloud/
Copyright ©2015 The Official Rackspace Blog unless otherwise noted.