Top 20 Ways to Make your Business Greener
Filed in by Angela Bartels | November 15, 2010 10:02 am
In celebration of Recycling Day 2010, Rackspace Cloud customer, Ecycler, wrote and contributed the following post.
Businesses have an opportunity to offer their customers more than just a product or service – by making green thinking part of their culture, their customers gain peace of mind knowing that concern for the environment is part of the product. Many large companies have sustainability programs that involve working only with suppliers that meet their environmental standards, reducing their carbon footprint by operating fully packed trucks and making fewer deliveries and using alternative sources of energy to fuel their plants. But there are much smaller, everyday ways that offices can reduce waste and involve all employees in making the workspace more environmentally friendly.
We, at ecycler, offer these top 20 ways to make your business greener:
- Make green thinking part of your corporate culture
- Encourage your employees to recycle their beverage cans, newspapers, cardboard and other office waste using ecycler.com and set up recycling bins in your office or warehouse
- Recycle other office products that you might not traditionally think can be recycled, such as electronics, batteries, scrap metal and phone books
- Use hybrid or electric delivery trucks
- Run diesel trucks on B100 or B10 biodiesel (100% biodiesel is referred to as B100)
- Use high-efficiency light bulbs in your office (watch for LED bulbs in 2011)
- Encourage employees to use alternative transportation to get to work, either by subsidizing bus or train passes; creating car pools or providing incentives for those who bike or walk to work
- Eliminate or cut down on junk mail
- Provide coffee cups that are re-useable; napkins and other kitchen products that are made with recycled items and that can be recycled
- Install hand dryers in your restrooms instead of paper towels
- Encourage employees not to print out e-mails, reports and other documents unless absolutely necessary
- Install motion-detector lights in areas like the bathroom and kitchen, in order to save electricity
- Host monthly clean-up days in which employees recycle items they no longer need in their workspace
- Encourage employees to turn off their computers and other electronics before they leave the office for the evening
- Provide a water cooler and discourage employees from bringing bottled water to work
- Stock the printer and fax machine with recycled paper
- Reorder office supplies only when needed rather than keeping extra pens, paper and other supplies on hand, as that encourages employees to take more items than they need
- Install energy-efficient refrigerators and dish washers in the breakroom
- Have employees deposit their extra change in a bowl and at the end of six months, donate the loose change to an environmental charity
- Ask the cleaning crew to use non-toxic cleaning supplies
Doing any or all of these things will help businesses do their part to help the environment. Businesses and residents alike can use ecycler.com to handle many of their recycling needs. Register as an ecycler discarder or collector today!
- Ecycler: http://ecycler.com/
- [Image]: http://ecycler.com/
- at ecycler: http://ecycler.com/
- ecycler.com: http://ecycler.com/
Source URL: http://blog.rackspace.com/top-20-ways-to-make-your-business-greener-2/
Copyright ©2015 The Official Rackspace Blog unless otherwise noted.