Your increased adoption of Debian on our Cloud Servers and the rise in the number of requests for support made it an obvious choice to include as part of our Managed Cloud Service Level.
Debian is an operating system that comprises free software and is used globally by educational institutions, commercial businesses, non-profit organizations and government organizations. It has been around since 1993, and one of its first widely-used releases, version 1.1, appeared in 1996. Many Linux distributions today, including Ubuntu, are built upon Debian.
Usually, when people hear “free software,” they think “no cost,” but that’s not what it’s about, at least not for Debian. With Debian free means freedom, specifically for the software itself. Free software is copyrighted and licensed so it can remain freely available for use by everyone. The free software you use today will still be available tomorrow and you’ll have the freedom to review and make changes as you see fit.
Debian is created by an organization of over 3,000 volunteers. The Debian Social Contract defines the basic principles for the project which include:
- Debian will remain 100 percent free
- We will give back to the free software community
- We will not hide problems
- Our priorities are our users and free software
Debian is rock-solid. Instead of scheduled and forced releases that often introduce bugs or unwanted “features,” Debian follows a philosophy of releasing when everything is ready and the number of release critical bugs is zero. This process yields high quality and stable releases that are easier to support and use long-term.
This is what makes Debian such a great fit for our customers with a Managed Cloud Service Level. You tend to want longer lifecycles with known stable releases. If you are going to build your business on the cloud, you want the peace of mind that you have a stable foundation to build upon and one less thing to worry about.
Plus, with Rackspace’s Managed Cloud Service Level, you get:
- A fanatical team of cloud experts available 24x7x365 to assist in architecting, building and managing your Debian cloud
- Eight free Cloud Monitoring checks per server
- A free Mailgun account configured for you on your Cloud Servers
- The monthly fee for Rackspace’s Cloud Backup agent waived on each Cloud Server
- Rackspace Cloud Backup is also configured and turned “on” with each server build, to protect the your data
- Nightly OS security patching
If you’re interested in starting to build your next cloud app on Debian or have more questions, just reach out to the Rackspace Managed Cloud Support team and we’ll help you design and implement a Debian environment customized for you and your specific needs.
Rackspace Software Developer Trey Tabner contributed to this article.
 Customer is responsible for all Cloud Files and associated bandwidth utilization fees.