We were very happy to participate in a webinar with the Rackspace Cloud talking about managing Windows Servers in the Cloud.
Managing infrastructure on the Cloud, or anywhere for that matter, is a tough proposition. Windows infrastructure is no exception. Rackspace has focused on making the provisioning process straightforward so it was a natural step to help the management and monitoring. Getting alerts upon failures, spotting hot-spots with your data, graphing any metric you want and supporting Windows/Linux hardware side by side with cloud, dedicated and fully managed.
Key points covered:
- Cloudkick tagging is very important in the UI, it semantically defines permissions and monitors.
- Adding credentials to Cloudkick only requires looking up the API keys and then entering them into Cloudkick.
- Getting the agent up and running is simple and straightforward.
- Getting the OAuth credentials from Cloudkick requires logging in and copying the key and secret and distributing it to every machine you want monitored
- Defining custom monitors allows any technical, application, or business metric graphed/trended in the system.
- Setting custom alerts allows for the ultimate flexibility in alert infrastructure
- Fault detection with Cloudkick is unified between Windows and Linux operating systems. You are able to see metrics from either systems through a single pane of glass.
- The full permission system
The Cloudkick delivery model, briefly in the webinar, eliminates the need to update the agent software. We focused on creating a very flexible model for adding new checks in the Cloudkick system. When Cloudkick adds a new check, the code is signed, encrypted and sent to a 3rd party CDN for delivery to each agent.
Again, a special thanks to the Rackspace Cloud team for putting together such a successful event! Click below to watch the full webinar.