Migration Mania: Google+ Hangout Recap
Filed in Cloud Industry Insights by Alan Bush | July 2, 2013 3:00 pm
Last week in our Office Hours Google+ Hangout, we answered the question, “What do I need to consider before I move to the cloud?” We examined this question with a few different types of people: those with physical devices only, those currently launching a new project and others. Potential cloud consumers should note that they don’t have to jump into the cloud all at once, but can rather move in an incremental manner. Here are some of the highlights from the Hangout, and you can see the complete video at the bottom on the post.
- We talked about how to move a “kitchen counter server,” a physical server that may be hosted at home or in a colocation facility, over to the cloud. The most important thing to remember is that you don’t have to move everything to the cloud. Rather, we discuss how you can integrate pieces of your site into the cloud.
- One of our customers, and frequent Google+ Hangout attendee, Jeffrey Olsen talked about his story of migrating to the cloud. Jeffrey utilized Racemi, one of our Cloud Tools partners, to help migrate away from a VMware environment over to an OpenStack environment.
- I often work with developers at startups that are in the process of taking the code that is running on their laptop and deploying it to a hosted environment. In this Hangout, I talked about how companies that don’t yet have a hosted solution can take advantage of the cloud. In particular, they should consider separating their infrastructure (such as web, application and database) and have each function on different cloud nodes. You can also find out more of this in Wayne Wall’s Second Pillar of Cloudiness: Modular Design blog post.
We’re going to be taking off this week for the Fourth of July holiday over here in the States, but we look forward to hosting the next Office Hours Hangout on Thursday, July 11 at 1:00 p.m. CST. Be sure to check the Rackspace Google+ page for more information and I’ll see you then!
- the complete video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tWV9Yu1f_0
- integrate pieces of your site into the cloud: http://youtu.be/3tWV9Yu1f_0?t=19m12s
- Jeffrey Olsen: https://plus.google.com/u/0/118142642360710133859/posts
- his story of migrating to the cloud: http://youtu.be/3tWV9Yu1f_0?t=24m10s
- Racemi: https://cloudtools.rackspace.com/apps/63?453328197
- Cloud Tools: https://cloudtools.rackspace.com/home
- should consider separating their infrastructure: http://youtu.be/3tWV9Yu1f_0?t=43m42s
- Second Pillar of Cloudiness: Modular Design: http://www.rackspace.com/blog/pillars-of-cloudiness-no-2-modular-design/
- Rackspace Google+ page: https://plus.google.com/+RackspaceHosting/posts
Source URL: https://blog.rackspace.com/migration-mania-google-hangout-recap/
Copyright ©2016 The Official Rackspace Blog unless otherwise noted.