This blog post is written and contributed by Cip Palacios, head of implementation at Qv21 Technologies, LLC. Qv21 is a Rackspace customer and a leader in SaaS (Software as a Service) logistics solutions for the Oil Field Services industry. Based in Newport, R.I., and with offices throughout the US and overseas, Qv21 Technologies focuses on improving logistics efficiency in the oil and gas industry. Using the latest proven and readily available technologies, Qv21 makes its cutting edge solutions easily accessible to companies of all sizes without large capital expense. To find out more, visit Qv21 at www.Qv21.com.
Oil field logistics software is taking on the challenge of modernizing one of the oldest industries in the world: the trucking and transport industry. With a goal to provide precise and accurate logistics awareness through advanced fleet and freight management software, strides are quickly being made to provide real-time insight into the business of moving commodities from one place to another. Applications provide customers a one-stop shop for virtually all logistic needs. The process is cost-effectively made possible by using Windows 7 computers in the office and smartphones in-the-cab, connected via the Rackspace Cloud.
Our Rackspace-powered fleet logistics software applications provide the following abilities for the various hauling industries, whether they’re hauling crude oil, numerous types of water or frac sand, hazmat, gravel, timber or other commodities.
- Electronic Dispatching: The application lets dispatchers electronically dispatch truck drivers to jobs. Using proprietary smartphone applications, drivers can be dispatched to jobs with custom shippers, receivers and specific load types while even determining the party to be billed for the job. Dispatchers are enabled to queue up more than one job, so jobs are more efficiently routed and communicated to drivers, and hours of service (HOS) can be indicated to both dispatcher and driver to insure proper compliance by drivers.
- Mobile Communications: Using smartphone-powered devices, dispatchers can safely and cost-effectively send jobs, load details and messages to drivers while they’re on the road.
- Vehicle Tracking / Asset Locating: Using integrated vehicle tracking and non-powered asset tracking, trucking companies and equipment lessors can know where their equipment is located, how jobs are progressing, track driver routes and move equipment such as frac tanks cost-effectively and in real time to maximize production. Equipment owners can now know where their equipment is located and understand how to best utilize those assets.
- Electronic Reporting: Utilizing the data stored on the Rackspace Cloud, cutting edge logistics applications can provide a wide variety of reports that offer visibility for accounting to keep track of job tickets, load types and total load amounts. Various departments within a company have different information requirements. These can all be met through the use of integrated data from a range of data inputs. The result is that real-time awareness is provided to management, invoicing is correct, drivers are paid properly and both the operational and financial sides of the business are optimized.
- Oil Well DataSync: State of the art oil field logistics solutions allow well data provided by production companies to be stored on the cloud and selectively integrated with trucking companies’ data to increase accuracy and reduce errors. Information such as tank strappings and levels, exact locations, and other types of data can be coordinated through the cloud and provided as an add-on that allows oil trucking companies the ability to select their customer locations and details already uploaded to the system.
- Electronic Ticketing: Replacing paper run tickets eliminates the need for dispatchers and drivers to hand-write paper tickets, a practice that can introduce a significant numbers of errors. Drivers equipped with Bluetooth printers can print out tickets to deliver to shippers and receivers, and administrators no longer have to wait up to a week before invoicing.
State of the art logistics software changes the way the trucking industry operates, whether that is in the oil field or in other industries. By using new, cost-effective cloud-based applications, trucking companies can streamline logistics and day to day operations, enabling a real-time view of their businesses while adding to their profit margins.
Qv21 has chosen to partner with Rackspace as our cloud provider. Rackspace provides an extremely robust environment and expert infrastructure management. Qv21 owns a Private Cloud in Rackspace’s Chicago data center. This Private Cloud includes SQL servers, a management server, web servers, network and managed firewalls. By outsourcing our entire infrastructure to Rackspace, Qv21 can focus on its core business; logistics and application development. Utilizing a Private Cloud ensures that Qv21’s customers have the highest levels of data security
Just as we allow our customers to focus on their business and not worry about technology or scaling technology, Rackspace allows Qv21 to focus on our business. Bringing new server capacity online is as simple as a phone call or creating a service ticket. As well as providing infrastructure, Rackspace provides expertise. Qv21’s staff does not need to be experts in networking, firewall configuration or SQL clustering; these infrastructure related activities and tasks are all handled by Rackspace and are Rackspace’s expertise.
In addition to providing infrastructure for Qv21’s client facing services, Rackspace also provides a great deal of Qv21’s internal operational infrastructure. This includes email, SharePoint based document management and more.
Efficiency throughout the transportation industry is growing daily. When you’re ready to add greater efficiency and real-time situational awareness to your oil field logistics solutions or other industries, please contact www.Qv21.com. We welcome the opportunity to discuss your own unique situation so together we can help you attain optimal efficiency. We’re here to help.