Moving to public cloud includes a host of tasks, from planning through optimization, to truly realize the agility and cost savings benefits that come with running in a cloud environment.
Unlike an internal IT project, you’ll have to work closely with your cloud provider to ensure a successful move. Regardless of how many migration projects you’ve participated in, each migration should be approached with fresh eyes. And while no two migration paths are the same, the following are some high-level considerations you should always integrate into your public cloud migration plans:
- Set big goals for the project by launching with mission critical, high visibility applications.
- Take the time to thoroughly vet your cloud options to make sure you’re matching workloads to the appropriate platform.
- Don’t rush the planning phase. The effort expended in planning pays off in a smooth transition.
- Plan for post-migration housekeeping activities like testing and decommissioning resources.
- Understand your role and responsibilities in the migration process — because there’s no such thing as a 100 percent lift-and-shift move.
View the infographic below for ways to incorporate these ideas along your public cloud migration path.