Talking Cloud Sites, Our Web Hosting Platform: Google+ Hangout Recap
Filed in Cloud Industry Insights by Alan Bush | November 19, 2013 3:00 pm
We’ve spent a lot of time talking about our different server and storage products, but this past week on the Rackspace Google+ Office Hours Hangout we talked a little bit about Cloud Sites, our platform for hosting websites and blogs. Check out some of the highlights below (linked to the point in the video that it was discussed) or watch the full video of the Hangout at the bottom of the post.
- Racker Chris Farmer said that Cloud Sites is designed to work as a turnkey solution with the web clusters and storage backend already built. The team handles all the patching on the backend so you don’t have to worry about updating MySQL or Apache. Cloud Sites is particularly helpful for people who don’t need a high level of custom architecture on the backend.
- One thing to keep in mind is that Cloud Sites is built out as a general solution that can do a good job running most sites. However, it is not tailor-made for your specific site or application. If you are looking for that level of performance, you may be better off with an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) solution such as our Performance Cloud Servers.
- In addition to being a turnkey solution, people like Cloud Sites because it is a cost effective way to host multiple, automatically scalable websites. The Cloud Sites team has built in best practices, such as load balancing the traffic, to make sure your site can scale as needed. In fact, Cloud Sites was the platform that gdgt used to serve over 55 million page requests when it live blogged Apple’s iPhone 5 event.
- If you do host a blog or other site on Cloud Sites, look into offloading your images to Cloud Files. This will take advantage of our Content Delivery Network (CDN), which can speed up load times and ultimately make your customers happy. Most blogging platforms, like WordPress, have widgets that you can automatically upload images to Cloud Files.
- Chris advises Cloud Sites customers expecting a high traffic event to call Rackspace support a week before the event to give the team a heads up with information (such as date and time of the event along with the expected traffic). The support team will get with the Rackspace operations team so that they can make accommodations to handle your elevated traffic.
Those were some of the highlights from this past week’s Google+ Office Hours Hangout on Cloud Sites. This Thursday at 1:00 p.m. CST we will talk load testing with Cloud Tools partner Load Impact. Be sure to sign up for this Google+ Hangout now so you don’t miss it, and I’ll see you there!
- Rackspace Google+: https://plus.google.com/+RackspaceHosting/posts
- Cloud Sites: http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/sites/
- watch the full video of the Hangout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMOa5-82oQY
- Cloud Sites is designed to work as a turnkey solution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMOa5-82oQY&feature=share&t=13m58s
- tailor-made for your specific site or application: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMOa5-82oQY&feature=share&t=14m50s
- Performance Cloud Servers: http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/servers/
- host multiple, automatically scalable websites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMOa5-82oQY&feature=share&t=16m19s
- serve over 55 million page requests: http://www.rackspace.com/blog/rackspace-powers-gdgt-handles-55-million-page-requests-for-iphone-5-event/
- look into offloading your images to Cloud Files: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMOa5-82oQY&feature=share&t=21m32s
- expecting a high traffic event to call Rackspace support: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMOa5-82oQY&feature=share&t=35m5s
- Cloud Tools partner Load Impact: https://cloudtools.rackspace.com/apps/897/features?1080145687
- to sign up for this Google+ Hangout now: https://plus.google.com/events/cgikr2p2jdqg66cglbhbkot7am0
Source URL: https://blog.rackspace.com/talking-cloud-sites-our-web-hosting-platform-google-hangout-recap/
Copyright ©2016 The Official Rackspace Blog unless otherwise noted.