I’ve been lucky to have been a part of a really cool project, and I wanted to use the Rackspace blog to get the word out a bit more. For the past few weeks, I’ve hosted a Google Plus hangout that includes me, a few of my Racker friends and some of our customers. It has been a fun, informal way to have a conversation. We’ve answered questions on a number of topics, including Cloud Load Balancers, Active Directory in the cloud, transferring video files to our CDN and many more.
Our “Office Hours Hangouts” are active, multi-directional conversations – everyone gets involved. One of the best moments so far was when one customer answered a question posed by another customer. I can always give a good “Rackspace approved” answer, but a real life, tried and tested solution actively employed by another customer can be a much better answer than any I could give.
I wanted to make sure that as many Rackspace Cloud consumers as possible have a chance to ask and answer questions. Our Rackspace Cloud Office Hours Hangouts are Thursdays from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. CDT, starting May 2, 2013. Our first topic is building a scalable WordPress configuration in the cloud. Some future topics include:
- Cloud Files – cloud storage and CDN delivery
- Cloud Load Balancers – load balancing as a service
- Cloud Monitoring – monitor both cloud and dedicated servers
- Cloud Database – high performance database on the cloud
- Cloud Block Storage – for dependable performance from your database
We hope to see a lot of new participants. Instructions on how to join our hangout are as follows:
- Head over to the Rackspace G+ page and click “Follow”
- Find the G+ Event Post for the next Cloud Office Hours and RSVP
- Go to our G+ page a few minutes prior to the hangout time and wait for your invite
- If you don’t RSVP, no worries, just find the Event Post for the current Cloud Office Hours and leave a comment saying you would like to join…then wait for the invite…in the meantime you can watch what is going on because it is going to be livestreamed.
Sign up early to have a better chance of joining the hangout.
Our Google+ page will have archived versions of all of our hangouts, so you can watch past hangouts or just see what else we are talking about.
Also, we’re always looking for suggestions for discussion topics. If you have a suggestion, feel free to comment here, or share the topic with us on Google Plus. Hope to see you all on a hangout soon.